Friday 4 May 2018

Review: Captain of My Heart

Captain of My Heart Captain of My Heart by Danelle Harmon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Captain of My Heart is the second book in Danelle Harmon’s Heroes of the Sea series, yet it works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. I am now interested in going back and reading the prior book, along with going on to read the later books, but this is due to my enjoyment of this story rather than being a necessity for understanding of this story.

From the start, this one intrigued me. We begin with action in an interesting time period with a fun setting, ensuring I’ll be desperate for more. As the story progressed and more came to light, I found myself slipping deeper and deeper into the story. In truth, I had been a bit unsure about this one – I enjoy a good historical romance, yet I generally stick to short stories and novellas in the genre – yet this longer historical romance certainly had me more than willing to dig much deeper into the story than I’d expected.

In all honesty, this one isn’t quite a full four-star rating. That being said, it was so close I had to round up my rating. The only reason for this is due to the amount of information that was thrown about regarding the ships at times. Sure, I appreciated the amount of research and detail. At the same time, I found myself wanting the sections to move by rapidly so I could go back to the action. It wasn’t often, but occasionally these elements would result in my attention slipping slightly. It was a small thing, though, which is why I was happy to round my rating up.

After all, the stories and the characters in this one grabbed me. There were plenty of things to love and hate with this one, plenty of things to bring about emotions. You’ll let out some chuckles, you’re groan at some of the characters, and you’ll feel sucked into the story. It’s certainly a story that engages you, leaving you happy to turn each of the pages.

As a whole, I had a lot of fun with this one and will happily read more of the author in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment