Monday 5 February 2018

Review: Sucker for Payne

Sucker for Payne Sucker for Payne by Carrie Thomas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was a sucker for this story, and you will be too.

Terrible attempt at humour aside, this was a wonderful read. From the very start, I was sucked into Sucker for Payne and found it to be a very difficult book to put down. I was turning page after page, desperate to see how everything came together, and I loved the way things played out.

Stories with broken characters are my favourite. I love characters with flaws, those who have been through rough patches. It allows for deep emotional connections, and when done well the books mirror reality in a heart-breaking manner. Thus, you can imagine, I was drawn towards Sucker for Payne.

Both the characters in this story are wonderfully flawed, both have a dark past. What we’re given is a romance of how two broken pieces can go so well together, how broken parts can be fixed. Things will not be the way they were before, but you can continue to move forward. What this story does is show how, without any sugar-coating. It shows the pain and the darkness, how there will be hardship, and how love can still exist to help you through.

It really was a wonderful read, and it will appeal to so many people. Enjoy sports romance? Check. Enjoy haunted characters? Check. Enjoy characters with great chemistry? Check. Enjoy stories that show how one choice can have a drastic impact upon life? Check. It’s a story with layers, one that will suck you in on so many dimensions. You’ll love the characters, you’ll love the way the romance grows, you’ll love the depth to the storyline, and you’ll find yourself lost to the wonderful story.

The only thing I had a bit of an issue with was in relationship to time. I felt as though the transitions were not as smooth as they could have been, and there were a couple of times where it wasn’t as clear as it could have been how much time had passed. It was a small thing, though, in an otherwise wonderful book.

Without a doubt, Sucker for Payne has guaranteed I will be picking up more Carrie Thomas books in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment