Friday 16 February 2018

Review: Season of Talium

Season of Talium Season of Talium by Jennifer Arntson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Last year I read, and really enjoyed, Jennifer Arntson’s debut novel – Season of Atchem, the first book in the Scavenger Girl series. I was sucked so deep into the world, and could not wait to get my hands on the second book. Thus, when the chance came about, I was more than happy to dive straight into Season of Talium.

If you have yet to read book one, go back and do so now. The events in this story build quite heavily upon the events of book one, and you’ll understand the world much better if you read the series in order. It’s not one of those series where you can just jump in anywhere with the expectation of understanding what is happening – you need to read in order. I promise, to do so will not be a chore – the series is more than worth reading.

As with the first book, Season of Talium was an intensely powerful read. In fact, book two was even more of a powerhouse than book one. Book one was good; book two was great; book three will probably kill us all with the intense situations that are to come.

It’s very much a world heavy story, one where the events rely very heavily upon the ways of the world. It’s a dystopian fantasy, meaning we’re given the best of both worlds. We have a world where there is corruption to be seen, where groups are at a natural disadvantage, and change needs to come; we also have a world filled with magic, with a new place to understand, and details that continue to grow throughout. The two come together so well, a wonderful example of two genres I love individually.

What I really loved about Season of Talium was how much the world grew in this one. We are given so many new details, so many things come to light, and there is so much potential for what more is to come. In the first book we only got to see a small snippet of the world, and while it seems the same on the surface of book two, such is not the case here. We do not travel far and wide, we do not interact with an excessive number of characters, but everything that happens plays an important role in the story. Honestly, the way the world expanded in this book was mind blowing.

It was a darker read than the first book (pun intended), and this only helps us to understand the world all the more. It introduces us to the good and the bad to be seen throughout the story, throughout the world, and helps us make predications of what it to come. Trust me when I say it appears there is a lot more to come. So many possibilities were presented with this one, so many things are introduced that I wish to see more of. In fact, I’m already making a mental list of things I would like to see in the future – such is my investment in the world and the characters.

It wasn’t just the world that was amazing in this one – as much as I adored the way in which the world developed, I also adored the growth of the characters. We get to find out more about those we came to know and love (and hate) in the first book, along with being introduced to a new cast of characters. Some of the niggling questions in the back of my mind relating to certain characters were answered, but plenty of new questions have appeared. I’m just as invested in where each character’s story will go as I am interested in the overall plot.

Honestly, this book added so much depth on so many levels. It was a wonderful second book – pulling together much of what we already knew, while introducing us to so much more – and I cannot wait for book three. There were plenty of twists thrown into this one, so many details I need to know more about. Even the one twist (I had a feeling it was going to come) I wasn’t crazy about, I cannot wait to find out more about. I’m invested, from now until the end.

Without a doubt, this was a wonderful second book, a very strong four-star rating, and a series that needs more attention.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment