Tuesday 6 February 2018

Review: Rory's Rose

Rory's Rose Rory's Rose by Dale Mayer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have read a handful of Dale Mayer books and find it can be a bit of hit or miss. As the first Dale Mayer book I read was an earlier book in the Heroes for Hire series, and I did enjoy it, I had high hopes for Rory’s Rose. Although it was an okay read, it was far from being my favourite from the author – it’s somewhat of a middle ground kind of read, whereby it’s okay but it’s not something I would go out of my way to read again.

Although Rory’s Rose is the thirteenth book in the Heroes for Hire series, it works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. You will have a better understanding of side characters if you read the prior books, but the relationship and suspense element in this one has a start and end point summed up within the book.

With this one, nothing really screamed out to me. The suspense element was interesting, but it was not mind blowing. I have read more complicated, more gripping, Dale Mayer suspense stories in other books by the author. This one felt to be wrapped up really quickly, as though there was a good idea but it wasn’t taken to the lengths it could have been. The romance I felt much the same about. There was the potential for a fun dynamic between the two characters, yet I was not sucked into their relationship. There were a few moments where I started to feel something, but there was never enough for me to be lost to the story.

Overall, an okay quick read to pass a bit of time but not something I’d go crazy about. It may not be Dale Mayer’s best work, but it’s not her worst either.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment