Tuesday 13 February 2018

Review: Rogue Legacy

Rogue Legacy Rogue Legacy by Jeffrey L. Kohanek
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Rogue Legacy is the first book in Jeffrey L. Kohanek’s The Secret History of Issalia series. The story reveals what truly happened hundreds of years before The Runes of Issalia series takes place, although you do not need to read the series to understand this one. It is beneficial to have a better understanding of the world, but not necessary, as this is a story that fills in blanks whilst also working alone. Personally, I read this without any prior knowledge of the author’s world and found it worked perfectly fine.

In truth, this book is more of a three-point-five-star rating rather than the three-star rating I gave it. There were times when I considered rounding it up, but in the end I found myself unable to. There were moments where the book was worthy of the four-star rating, but as a whole it wasn’t quite enough for me to round up. Although I was engrossed throughout, I realised there was always something missing.

If I was the type to use gifs, I’d use two to reflect my expectations and the reality. I expected the popular ‘I’m going on an adventure’ gif from The Hobbit, only to be given any fantasy gif of an army marching towards their goal – you see, while the story was always moving forward it never really set of that jump in my step that had me racing towards my goal. I was interested, determined to see how things played out, but I wasn’t so deep in the world that I was racing around in search of my answers.

Considering the story was interesting, I expected to experience that additional excitement that would have me turning pages at a rapid pace. Yet I wasn’t. I couldn’t quite put my finger on why I wasn’t as sucked in as I had expected to be, but I consistently felt as though something was keeping me at arm’s length. I was enjoying the way events were playing out, but I wasn’t sucked into the world. Hence why I opted to round down.

I’m sure many will love this one, but there was something – and I cannot work out what – that prevented me from truly falling into this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment