Tuesday 6 February 2018

Review: Midnight Orchids

Midnight Orchids Midnight Orchids by Angel Nyx
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Midnight Orchids is the third book in Angel Nyx’s NOLA Shifters series, but it works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. I read it as a standalone novel and now plan to go back to read the prior books – not because of a lack of knowledge, but because I’m addicted. I need more of this series, and I need it now.

There was a time where I would not read romance, but after a few urban fantasy novels sucked me in with romantic subplots I decided to give romance a go. Shifter stories where what originally attracted me to romance, and from there my interest grew. Recently, I’ve been reading a lot of contemporary romance; however, I was starting to miss the paranormal romance. Thus, Midnight Orchids was a perfect read to remind me of why I enjoy paranormal romance so much.

In truth, the paranormal element of this book is rather tame compared to the paranormal element in some books. We are sucked into the shifter world, we are aware of the paranormal, but we do not spend much time dealing with the characters in shifter form. I’m more accustomed to stories where a lot of time is spent focusing upon the characters in their other form, so it was a nice change to have it take a bit of a backseat. It was certainly still an important element – there were details in this story that were vital to the shifter storyline – but it is a somewhat lighter paranormal read than you may find elsewhere. Therefore, this is perfect for people who enjoy the paranormal romance genre and for those who are new to it.

The story itself was absolutely wonderful. As soon as I started reading, I found I could not put the book down. I’m no stranger to reading books in a single sitting, it’s one of the reasons why I tend to read a book a day, but this one sucked me in deeper than I expected – I imagine, were I not the kind to read a book in a single sitting this one would have forced me to do so. It pulls you in from the very first page, making the book impossible to put down. You want to know what happens next in the story, you want more of the characters, and you’re lost to the world.

I could say so much about the storyline, but I don’t want to give any spoilers. Just know it deals with sensitive topics, and it’s done extremely well. We get a lot of heavy detail without the book being overly graphic, which I’m sure will appeal to many people. What will appeal even more, though, is the development of the characters throughout. Both characters were wonderful, I enjoyed them from the very start, but watching the way they developed – and the way the relationship developed – was wonderful. I adored their story, and I adored them. I loved the side characters too, and cannot wait to get more of them.

The one element I wasn’t one hundred percent won over by was the additional points of view we were sometimes given in this story. I enjoyed following our two main characters, and it was interesting to be given a couple of points of views from other people, but I feel as though I would have been happier had we just stuck to our two main characters. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy it, I just prefer it when romance books stick to the two main characters.

Without a doubt, though, I’ll be reading more of the NOLA Shifters series. I already have Wild Lilies, Scarlet Roses, and the prequel loaded up on my Kindle ready for me to read. It’s looking to be a wonderful series, and I cannot wait to see what comes next!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment