Saturday 2 December 2017

Review: A Hunger Like No Other

A Hunger Like No Other A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Immortals After Dark series is one of those paranormal romance series I seem to see everywhere, meaning I have been curious for quite some time. The high ratings merely furthered my interest – it appeared most people adore the series. Hence, I felt the intense desire to jump into the series and investigate. It took me a while due to the difficulty I had when it came to getting my hands on the first story, but I’ve finally started reading the series.

In all honesty, I don’t quite understand the hype.

The first story, The Warlord Wants Forever, was just a novella. It was okay, but there was nothing overly amazing about it. In fact, I was left feeling rather disappointed. I told myself I was let down because of the novella length, and how it prevented me from diving completely into the story, but having now read A Hunger Like No Other I’ve been left with the same kind of feeling.

The story had potential, and yet I wasn’t completely pulled into the events. It was an okay read, but I wasn’t crazy about it. In fact, I kept putting it down and picking it up. It wasn’t a chore to read in the way some books are, but I did not devour it as I had hoped to. I’m thinking I’m not going to be a fan of this series, which saddens me as I had been hoping for another paranormal romance addiction. As it stands, I can say I have read the books but I cannot claim to be a fan.

You see, my problem is that I never truly connected with the story and the characters. I kept waiting for something big to happen, for some action to truly pull me in, and yet I felt as though it was missing. Things happened, but it was never anything big. It was predictable things, and even when things were happening there was no real emotional connection to be had. The story unfolds, but I was never sucked in. Whilst I do enjoy action in my paranormal romance stories, I know it is not a guaranteed. I can deal with this, though, so long as I enjoy the romance between the characters. With this one, I never came to ship the relationship. I expected so much more from a tortured hero, I wanted a female lead I could love, only I never connected with them – in fact, I enjoyed the side characters more.

This series does have potential, I cannot deny that, but I feel as though the story telling is not for me. I want a bit more in my stories, and these first two books have felt rather flat to me. I will be giving No Rest For The Wicked a read, but if I find it to be another three star rating (or even lower) I’m going to call it quits with this series. I can understand some of the appeal, but it isn’t quite what I want in my paranormal romance reads.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment