Sunday 12 November 2017

Review: Faking It

Faking It Faking It by Lexy Timms
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Although Faking It is the first book in the Fake Billionaire series, I entered the book believing there would be a conclusion in this one. Sadly, I was mistaken. This book ends on a cliff-hanger, so much of the story still being open. The blurb of this one had me believing there would at least be a conclusion, the page number more than enough for these kinds of stories, but I was mistaken. Had I been more interested in the story, I may have continued on, sadly there was not enough about this one to make me want to read the rest of the series – because, honestly, we can all work out where Temporary CEO and Caught in the Act will take us.

In all honesty, Faking It was more of a two-point-five star read. I was feeling nice when giving this one a rating, and due to that I admit to giving it a three star round up rating when I may not have done so at other times. It wasn’t that I disliked this story, simply that it did not pull me in as much as I had wanted it to.

Like many romance fans, I’m a lover of the billionaire trope. Such stories should feel repetitive by now, and yet I’m still pulled in and finding myself new addictions. I was hoping Faking It would provide such a story – one I could become lost in – yet I found myself unable to connect throughout most of the story.

There were certain elements of the story that did interest me, but it was hard to enjoy these aspects when I did not like the main characters. I could not connect with either of them, which prevented me from losing myself in the story. It wasn’t a dislike of them per se, more so an inability to care about them. There was nothing to make them stand out, and what could have been a wonderful play between the two of them felt smothered by the speed at which events played out. Rather than allowing things to develop, we were thrown straight in without any real feelings growing – then, we jumped from one extreme to the other. Such a thing can work, if there is feeling behind it. Unfortunately, words that could have been used to create emotion were used to reiterate what had happened in the prior chapters – an unnecessary element of storytelling when a book is this short.

I admit, there was potential for this one; sadly, it failed to deliver.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment