Saturday 4 November 2017

Review: Alive

Alive Alive by Victoria Johns
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Alive is the third book The Soul Mate series, and Victoria Johns has delivered another winner. If you’ve enjoyed the prior books in the series, you’re guaranteed to love this one.

I was introduced to Victoria Johns through ‘I Wanna Get Laid by Kade’, which she wrote with Nikki Ashton. From there, I wanted more. Thus, I dived into The Soul Mate series. The first book, Survivor, was a wonderful read that left me wanting more. The second book, Deserved, was a different kind of wonderful and cemented my love for the series. Book three, Alive, has merely confirmed why I find myself excited when I see a Victoria Johns book on my Kindle.

Book three follows the story of one of the characters I came to love in book two, one of the wonderful twin set. As soon as I found out which character we would be following, I was all kinds of excited. I loved Jake so much in the prior book and couldn’t wait to get to know more about him, eager to see Jake in his entirety. He seemed like such a fun character, more complex than people seemed to believe.

At first, I was a little bit worried about his story. It started off with an event that left me questioning whether or not I would be able to fall in love with Jake in the way I had been hoping to. Fortunately, things started moving quickly and before I knew what was happening, I was a goner. I was pulled into Jake’s story, and I could not put the book down.

What really won me over, though, was the links in with book one. Our female lead takes us back to a character briefly introduced to us in book one, a character I was not expecting to see again. Through this, so many elements from the first book were brought back to our attention, taking us back to characters I had been missing. Whilst this book works perfectly fine as a standalone novel, you’ll have a much better appreciation for events if you’ve read the rest of the series. It’s not a necessity, but it does allow you to see the way things link together.

With a character I loved from book two and a surprise reappearance from book one, I quickly found myself lost in this story. The chemistry between the two characters was wonderful, and I found myself lost in their story. I felt as though things played out between them a bit quickly, and certain elements of the story were solved a bit too easily, but I was able to overlook these factors as I was so in love with the characters.

Honestly, this was a wonderful addition to the series and I’m so excited for book four. I didn’t realise book four was to be the last, and I’m now heartbroken at the knowledge I only have one more wonderful book left in this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment