Monday 11 September 2017

Review: In the Cold Dark Ground

In the Cold Dark Ground In the Cold Dark Ground by Stuart MacBride
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In The Cold Dark Ground is the tenth novel in the Logan McRae series, and it’s another fabulous addition to the series. For me, In The Cold Dark Ground brings together so many of the wonderful elements that have been reoccurring throughout the prior book, along with leaving us with so many questions regarding where the series will head. I know there is a Steel spinoff due to be released in the near future, but I think I speak for everyone when I say book eleven cannot come soon enough.

As with all of the prior books, In The Cold Dark Ground demonstrates why Stuart MacBride quickly became one of my favourite crime authors. Whilst there is one big mystery to be solved throughout this book, there are also a number of interconnected crimes that keep you guessing throughout the storyline. It’s one of my favourite things to see in the genre, and I especially love it when Stuart MacBride does it. In particular, books nine and ten have been wonderful in that things have changed slightly. As with book nine, book ten tells the story with Logan in uniform – in addition to our one big crime, we’re given daily life whilst out in uniform.

Even more fun, is the way in which so many elements come together in this one. I will not mention the particular storylines, but a lot comes together. Things that have been building for a number of books are brought to a close in this one, individual arcs reaching a conclusion. With so much happening in this book, it is important you read the prior books in the series to ensure you get the best experience possible. I’m not saying this will not work as a standalone novel – you will easily enjoy the story without having read the rest of the series – yet the best experience will come about when you know all the little details that have been building throughout.

Now, whilst I say many things reach a conclusion, I do not mean this series is going to become dull. Far from it. There are many new elements introduced throughout this book. New storylines are opened up, and twists are added that will leave you curious as to what will come next. The ending in particular will leave you desperate to see what comes next – there really is no telling what will happen in the upcoming books.

Bringing together so many wonderful elements of the Logan McRae series, In The Cold Dark Ground is a brilliant read for any fan of the series. Filled with Stuart MacBride’s usual humour, this one will leave you laughing as you beg to find out what happens next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment