Thursday 7 September 2017

Review: The Hedge Knight

The Hedge Knight The Hedge Knight by George R.R. Martin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Fans of George R. R. Martin’s most loved series, A Song of Ice and Fire, are always looking for more tales set in the world we adore so much. Being such a fan myself, The Hedge Knight was a must read.

The Tales of Dunk and Egg take place around one hundred years prior to the complicated story known as A Song of Ice and Fire. The Hedge Knight is the first of the prelude stories. These tales are not a necessity to understand the main series, but they’re a lot of fun for those fans who wish for a little bit more.

I’ll be completely honest about this story – I thought I’d be giving three stars. When the story started, I wasn’t as pulled in as I had hope to be. In fact, it took a while before the story pulled me under. However, once things started to move I found I was quickly won over. In fact, I went from strolling along to powering my way through to see how the end played out. Much like A Song of Ice and Fire, I went from ‘this is okay’ to ‘I am rather addicted’. It grabs you without you realising, pulling you in deep.

Despite being a short story, The Hedge Knight is a typical George R. R. Martin story. There is no denying the author of this work, the tell-tale trademarks being clear. I do not need to list out the George R. R. Martin trademarks – fans know what I’m talking about – and all are here in some way. Not all things are not as explicit as they are in A Song of Ice and Fire, but all the usual elements are simmering away in this little tale.

You’re guaranteed to be addicted to this little story, left wanting more Dunk and Egg tales.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment