Thursday 31 August 2017

Review: A Royal Apocalypse

A Royal Apocalypse A Royal Apocalypse by Louisa Lo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I positively adore Louisa Lo’s Vengeance Demon series. I was pulled in from the very start, desperate to grab the next tale whenever I can. In fact, I’m having difficulty containing my excitement as I wait for the next book to be released.

When I heard Louisa Lo had a new book coming out I had the usual mix of emotions when it comes to authors I enjoy. I was super excited, intrigued as to what the next tale would bring. I was also a bit disappointed because it was not the next Vengeance Demon tale. I know, however, that when a story needs to be told, it will be told. Mostly, however, was the excitement. After all, A Royal Apocalypse sounded truly amazing.

To boot, it was truly amazing.

Alternate histories are wonderful. There are so many paths that can be taken in these kinds of novels. With the Lady Slayalot books, we have one big change in history with many of the other elements remaining the same. We come to terms with a very difficult world, but our everyday references are consistent with what we know and love. The two are merged wonderfully, allowing you to become fully invested in the world.

Not only do we have a wonderful alternative history, we also have a great paranormal element. It is something completely new, something wholly refreshing. Our paranormal element has a feel of something we all know well – zombies – without conforming to the tropes of the creature. It is a wonderful twist, allowing for so many possibilities. It allows for everything I’ve come to expect from Louisa Lo – the mystery, the humour, and the intrigue.

As with the Vengeance Demon series, I fear I’m a goner when it comes to Lady Slayalot. There were so many element introduced in this one. We start with a leading lady I wasn’t crazy about, a main character that developed so much throughout the book and left me thoroughly in love with her. We have side characters I cannot wait to find out more about. We have events that are super interesting, twists thrown in that will leave you begging for explanations. Mysteries and histories I cannot wait to unravel. Honestly, this book has so much.

My biggest disappointed is that I cannot jump into the next book. A Royal Apocalypse is a quick read, and by the end, I was so invested in the world I found myself disappointed that I could not jump straight into book two. As soon as book two is ready, I’m diving in it.

All in all, Louisa Lo has created another series that I’m going to be following with eager anticipation.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment