Friday 4 August 2017

Review: Imprudence

Imprudence Imprudence by Gail Carriger
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I wasn’t as crazy about Prudence as I had hoped to be, but the way things developed towards the end of the book left me excited to see what Imprudence would bring us. I can honestly say I enjoyed Imprudence so much more than I enjoyed Prudence. If I’m completely honest, it’s mostly because of the events at the beginning of the book.

With Prudence, I was disappointed by the lack of appearances made by the cast of the Parasol Protectorate series. I know the two are separate stories, but the two are tied so tightly together that I had expected a little bit more. If only so we could get to see how certain elements had developed. Thus, you can imagine my joy when the start of Imprudence focused upon bringing those elements from the Parasol Protectorate series together. I’m not going to say much, just know certain scenes broke me. It was the perfect way to bring these elements together, giving us peace of mind about what happened. It gave us what we wanted, linking it in so well with this story, preventing those nagging questions from lingering for any longer than is necessary.

In addition to giving me what I’d so desperately desired from book one, Imprudence seemed to move much faster. It wasn’t the speediest book in history, but events did seem to take place at a more rapid pace than they did in Prudence. I believe this is because Carriger has now opened up where she plans to take this series, having now started the extension of world building. I feel as though this series has so many possibilities regarding the potential directions it could go in, and I’m curious to see where things head.

However, I found myself rather annoyed by the romance in this one. In all honesty, I use the word ‘romance’ rather loosely. It didn’t feel romantic to me at all. It was annoying. It felt forced. I wanted it over and done with. Honestly, I’m really not enjoying this element of The Custard Protocol at all – the glimpses in book one were enough to leave me complaining, this one just left me feeling annoyed.

Overall, though, this was much better than book one. A solid four star rating compared to my rounded up four star rating of book one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment