Friday 4 August 2017

Review: The Boat Builder's Bed

The Boat Builder's Bed The Boat Builder's Bed by Kris Pearson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Boat Builder’s Bed was a surprisingly addictive read. When I first started reading this story, I wasn’t quite sure how much I would enjoy it. I was intrigued and wanted to know more, but I wasn’t sucked under the spell for quite some time. As the story started to progress, I gradually found myself slipping deeper and deeper into the world.

It’s very much a story that grows on you. It’s a book where the little things make you fall in love with the story. It’s the accumulation that is so enjoyable, watching as all the small parts finally click into place and you realise the story had you.

Truthfully, my rating is more of a three-point-five star rating than a three star rating. I spent quite a bit of time debating whether I was to give this one three stars or four stars. Due to my level of addiction, a part of me wished to give it four stars. However, when I stopped to think about it, I realised it wasn’t quite at the rounding up stage.

For me, what prevented me from rounding up was the ending. I enjoyed watching as the many elements of the story slowly came together, but when we reached the ending things felt a bit rushed. Everything occurred at once, preventing the individual elements from hitting quite as hard as they could have. It was a fun ending, but it didn’t pack the punch it should have. Compared to the rest of the book it felt over too quick, as though it wasn’t quite given the same consideration and detail. If it had been spread out a bit more, had there been more detail, I would have rounded up to four stars instead.

Nevertheless, this was an addictive read. It was enjoyable enough to pass a short time period, and I’d certainly consider reading more of the author in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment