Saturday 29 July 2017

Review: The Lying Planet

The Lying Planet The Lying Planet by Carol Riggs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The synopsis of The Lying Planet really grabbed me, and I instantly knew it was a book I wanted to read. Despite my interest, it took me a while to start the book. I kept delaying it to read other things, kept bumping it down my to-read list. I’m rather annoyed with myself for doing such a thing because once I started reading the story I came to really enjoy it.

I’ll admit that it took me a couple of chapters to be gripped by this story. Things are a bit slow at the start, and I found myself waiting for the action to begin. Once things started to open up, once the information started to come together, I found myself truly addicted. I went from mere interest to addiction, finishing the book in a single sitting. Honestly, it was so addictive – I needed to know how everything played out, I needed to know all the details.

Mixing two things I love – dystopian societies and aliens – together, this story gives us a wonderful science fiction read. As much as I love dystopian tales, I do find myself questioning them as of late. The trend has been going on for quite some time, and it’s rare for me to find one that holds my attention. Whilst The Lying Planet has the standard necessities of any dystopian tale, there were enough unique elements thrown in to keep me addicted and intrigued throughout. The seamless blending of a dystopian society and an alien world made this one a wonderful read.

With great characters and an interesting storyline, The Lying Planet grips you from the moment the first major piece of information is dropped. You’re constantly left with questions regarding where the story will head, you’re pulled in as you hope for the best, and you cannot help but keep turning the pages. The story runs so smoothly, giving you everything you expecting from an engaging read.

Despite my enjoyment of the story, there was one element I was never overly pleased with – the romance. Over the last couple of years, I’ve started reading a lot more romance novels and, if anything, it has made me pickier when it comes to romantic subplots in stories. I really have to buy into the stories to enjoy them. With this one, things felt a bit forced. Personally, I think this story would have been better had there been less drama in the romance department. At times it felt unnecessary, as though it were overshadowing the other elements of the story I was interested in. I know it did play a role in the story, but I would have liked for there to be a lesser focus upon it.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed this one. It was an addictive story, and I’m certainly interested in seeing what else the author has to offer.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment