These ‘about me’ sections, or even sections that inform you about blogs, have never been my forte. Much to my chagrin, I was never taught the unwritten rules of what you are supposed to say. The links at the side of the blog – Twitter and Goodreads, for example – are liable to tell you more than I could ever say in words.

Mostly, this will be a book blog. I read a lot, and I love to share my views on my most recent reads. I try to read a little bit of everything, but if you look closely you’ll notice I will occasionally become obsessed with one specific genre for a short period of time. Old books, new books, yet to be released books – I read them all. If you’re an author looking for advance readers or just wish for more reviews of a book you’ve already released, please feel free to contact me. There is a contact form at the side of my blog – if you scroll down below the Twitter and Goodreads sidebar you will find it – so drop me a message and I’ll be sure to get back to you in double time. After all, finding new authors is what makes the book world go around.

Thanks for taking your time to read this. With a little bit of luck, you will find my blog much more interesting than this mundane introductory section.

Wednesday, 5 July 2017

Review: Church

Church Church by Michelle Hughes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m going to be upfront by saying this isn’t a full four star rating from me. I opted to round up because I was truly addicted to this one, but in all honesty I wasn’t as crazy about it as I had hoped to be. I cannot deny that I enjoyed it; I simply found it wasn’t quite all I had hoped it would be.

Church has as similar premise to quite a few book in this genre. We have the influential businessman with a dark past, intense sexual desires, and a personality nobody would ever want to love; we also have the virgin female lead who manages to fall into his trap. I’ll admit that the coming together of these characters was an interesting change to the norm, but I wasn’t quite convinced by the reactions the characters had to the events that transpired. It was a nice change to what I’m accustomed to, yet I felt as though the way people responded wasn’t quite all it should have been. I expected there to be something more in terms of denial or fighting, instead it seemed as though people rolled with this highly unlikely event with ease.

I know it’s fiction, so these things always will never be what you expect to see in everyday life; nonetheless, I would have liked for it to have a bit more in terms of complex decision making to make it feel more real to me. This, in part, is largely due to my reading preferences within the genre. I always favour such reads when I truly connect with the characters and the choices they made, with this one I found some of the actions a little bit hard to get behind.

Nevertheless, I was addicted to the story as it played out. I was intrigued to see how events would come together, and how all the details of the story would reach fruition. I never quite fell in love with our main characters in the way I had hoped to, yet that failed to lessen my enjoyment of their story. I appreciated what they had, even if I was not shipping it in the way other fans will. Not to mention, when the story became steamy, I was more than happy to overlook my misgivings regarding the characters.

Overall, I was thoroughly addicted to this one. It was another of those one sit reads, one I managed to finish in the space of a couple of hours through my need to see how things played out. Without a doubt, I’ll be looking to read more of the author’s work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment