Tuesday 30 May 2017

Review: Opal

Opal Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Opal, the third book in the Lux series, was another solid four-star rating. Now that we have an idea of where the series is heading, things really are coming together so well. The tentatively I’d been feeling from book was completely eradicated by the time I reached the end of this book.

Honestly, so much comes out in this book. We get to meet new people, we get more facts, and things really do push the series forward. If I were to pick which of the first three books was my favourite, I would pick this one. Opal really does push us deeper into the series, opening us up to so many things. With all that happens, we not only find out more about the world but our opinions of characters also starts to change. Things that play out have us questioning what is to come, who can be trusted, leaving us wanting so much more.

As with the prior books, however, I’m still not invested in the romance. All the lovey stuff that happened in this one left me rolling my eyes in annoyance, if I’m honest. With everything that is going on, the last thing I care about is the romance between the two. It felt awkward and forced to me, completely unnecessary. I understand the occasionally snuggle – hell, I get the science behind the arousal the events would lead to – but it really did feel as though it was start to demand more attention than it deserved. This is, of course, influenced by my dislike of the romantic element of this story – even if I did enjoyed it, though, I fear I would have felt as though it was too much.

The main thing, though, is that ending. It’s the kind of ending which forces you to dive straight into the next book. You cannot ignore what happened, you cannot take a break and pick up another series – you need to know what comes next.

A wonderful ending to leave you jumping into book four.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment