Tuesday 30 May 2017

Review: Onyx

Onyx Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Onyx, the second book in the Lux series, was a much better read than the first, in my opinion. The first book was extremely addictive, yet I wasn’t overly crazy. I decided to round my rating up to four stars, but a large part of me believes such a thing was a mistake. With Onyx, however, the four star rating I gave was much more solid.

A lot more happened in this book, there was a lot more action, and I came to enjoy the world building much more. Mainly, I enjoyed how our knowledge base developed. We went from the Twilight fan fiction I feared the series would be and developed into an interesting sci-fi read. Honestly, the way the details developed in this book were my favourite part – it really was so much more than I’d initially anticipated it to be.

However, I cannot bring myself to enjoy the romance in this story. It’s an unpopular opinion, but I do not like our male lead. I really do wish to strangle him. Everyone swoons over him, but I want nothing more than to punch him in the face. All the ‘woe is me’ that occurred throughout this book worked to further my dislike of the romance in this story. I can deal with it – mostly because I’m now invested in the overall storyline – yet I doubt I will ever enjoy it. It will always be the thing to disappoint me about the books – I know if I was enjoying the romance I would enjoy the series even more. For those invested in the romantic storyline, however, I’m sure they will enjoy the clichés that play out throughout this book.

Overall, I enjoyed this one quite a bit more because the world opened up a decent amount. We have a much better idea of where the story is heading, leaving me interested in how things will play out.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment