Saturday 29 April 2017

Review: Mayhem

Mayhem Mayhem by Autumn Sand
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Mayhem is the second book in the Twisted Hearts Love Story series, and I believe I enjoyed this one even more than I enjoyed the first. Yes, I had a lot of fun with the first book; however, I was even more addicted to this one.

The first book was a very dark and gritty read, and in comparison, this one almost feels light. It’s not a light read, though. It’s just a different kind of darkness to the first book. We still deal with the mafia world and the challenges attached to it, along with dealing with the darkness that can be found within everyday life. Honestly, I find the way in which the author combines the gritty nature of her stories and the romance together to be wonderful – the combination between the two is a thing of beauty.

From the start of this story, I was pulled in. Bedlam, the first book, pulled me in because of the voice of our leading lady. Whilst the voice in this one was just as great, I found it was the story that really grabbed me. Tick, who we were introduced to in the first book, developed into a full character in this one, and I found I loved him even more after finding out more about him. When the leading lady of Mayhem was introduced, I found I loved her just as much as I loved Tick, and I knew I was a goner. I needed to know how their story would come together; I needed to see how events played out.

Thus, I was addicted.

Putting the story down was an impossibility. We were pulled deeper into the mafia world in this story, with more being added that leaves me with questions of what will happen in the future books in the series. It wasn’t simply the factors surrounding Tick’s life that pulled me in, though. I was pulled into the drama of Cyma’s life. There was so much emotion to be felt there, and I was on the edge of my seat as I hoped for the best. Honestly, the overall story was so beautiful – there was so much emotion to be felt, so much happened. I feel as though the action I expected to find due to the first part of the book wasn’t quite to the level I had hoped for when it came to pass, but this in part is because it’s a very different kind of action to the first book and I found myself comparing even though I shouldn’t have been.

Speaking of the first book, it is not necessary to read Bedlam to enjoy this one, although I would suggest giving it a read. The two go together so well, yet we are provided with enough information to ensure those who haven’t read the first book understand all that is going on. Plus, through reading the first book you get to truly appreciate the way life has developed for the characters introduced to us in book one. It was so nice to see them again, to see how their lives had moved forward, and I was really pleased to find them playing an important role in this story.

I’m somewhat confused, though, and I fear I may have misread information in one of the books. I feel as though certain things that were said in this one went against information provided in the first book. It was never anything big, but there were little things where I was thinking ‘I thought this was otherwise in book one’. It was never anything that influenced the story, but I did find myself questioning information that I thought I already had.

Overall, though, this was a wonderful second book. I’m super excited to read the next book in the series, as this series is promising to be wonderful.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment