Saturday 4 February 2017

Review: Reaper's Claim

Reaper's Claim Reaper's Claim by Simone Elise
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Motorcycle club romances seem to be one of the most popular kinds of romance novels out there. Another extremely popular one is the millionaire – and this is what I usually end up reading. I don’t know why such is the case, yet it is. However, after reading Reaper’s Claim, I’m of the belief that I now need to start picking up more of those motorcycle club reads. There are a few sitting on my Kindle waiting to be read, but if this one is anything to go by, then I’m going to need more.

I’ll start by giving a warning: this book ends on such a cliff-hanger. I went in believing it was a complete story, a standalone, so you can imagine my surprise when I reached the end and had an ‘oh gosh, what happens next’ response. I’m not going to give any specifics about the ending, as nobody wants spoilers, but know it really will leave you wanting to read the next book. Honestly, it was so good. As I was reaching the end I was questioning whether the happily ever after would occur, I was asking how ever thing would be tied up, and then that happened. So yes, fair warning that the ending is one hell of a cliff-hanger. I mean, if anyone can tell me what comes next right now, I’ll gladly pay the asking price for answers.

The whole book was like the ending, in a way, though. It was super addictive. I couldn’t put it down for any period of time. Whenever I had the chance, I was opening up the Kindle app on my phone so that I could squeeze in a few more pages. Every single scene left you with questions of what was to come next, every aspect of the story leaving you wanting more. Honestly, I cannot begin to explain how addictive the story was. It’s been a while since I’ve been this addicted to the story. Good books will always be hard to put down, but this was something else entirely.

The book starts out with a bang, quickly pulling us in. I admit that the way in which things start has been done before, but it works. There was nothing wrong with bringing our two characters together in the way that they were. From then on, we’re following life events that bring the two main characters together and drag them apart. It’s a collection of mistakes and dramatic moments, showcasing how their love can battle anything that is thrown their way. I’m not going to lie and say all the events were great, but as a whole I had a lot of fun with them. There were many emotional scenes, many edge of your seat scenes, and they came together to outweigh the scenes I wasn’t crazy about.

In terms of scenes I wasn’t crazy about it was due to a couple of things: some stupid choices made by characters (they made quite a few throughout, but some really had me rolling my eyes and wanting to shake them for their clear stupidity), the fact that some of the scenes seemed repetitive (not in terms of the details of the scene, but in terms of the feelings, how we constantly seemed to be pushed to play out the same themes), and the fact that it seemed as though too many ideas were thrown into one book. The final part links in to how I now know it to be a series – I feel as though this story would have played out a bit better if these scenes were split up between books, rather than being one large collection of crazed events.

Nevertheless, as I said, I was completely addicted to the story. I was addicted to the romance between our main characters, and I couldn’t help but fall in love with the stories of our side characters as well. We’re given such a great cast, that it’s impossible not to fall in love with multiple characters. Add in the fact that the men in this story are the kind of bikers you expect to see – and, well, you know you’re going to be wanting more of them. The whole dynamic between the characters, the way in which so many of the characters develop throughout the story, is wonderful. They really did come to life before me, hence why I cannot wait to get my hands on the next read.

Overall, I loved this one. It was addictive in the best way possible, and the ending left me annoyed because I’m yet to be able to pick up the next book to receive answers to all of my lingering questions. If you’re a fan of motorcycle club romances, then I certainly recommend giving this one a read.

As a final note, I would like to thank the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchange for a review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment