Wednesday 1 February 2017

Review: The Eye of Nefertiti

The Eye of Nefertiti: A Pharaoh's Cat Novel The Eye of Nefertiti: A Pharaoh's Cat Novel by Maria Luisa Lang
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Eye of Nefertiti is the second The Pharaoh’s Cat novel, although it works perfectly fine as a standalone. Maria Luisa Lang was kind enough to provide me with both books, allowing me to get a better understanding of the overall story. Although it is not necessary to have read the first book, I would recommend you do so. It’s a fun quick read, and it really does allow you to understand the characters in this story. Even though both books were fun reads, I gave the first a three star rating due to small things, yet with this second book the four star rating was given without a second thought – thus, it’s good to read both so that you can see the developments.

As with the first book, this was a very quick read – one you can easily complete in one sitting should you wish to sit down with a good book for a couple of hours. Also in line with the first book, it’s more than just a simple story of a cat. It looks at the deeper meaning of connections, mixing emotions with historical fiction and magic. Again, our story spans thousands of years. We see more than just ancient Egypt and modern day New York this time, though; we also get to see both modern and ancient England. Throughout, there’s a mystery to solve and we’re left curious as to how things will play out. Although it is easy to work out a couple of facts, as a whole the way things play out is one big surprise.

As previously stated, I enjoyed this one even more than I enjoyed the first book. We once again have a number of amusing moments; we once again get to explore ancient Egypt; we once again have a mystery to solve; we once again have interesting characters; we once again have scenes that pull at a variety of emotions. All in all, it gives us all we could expect from the story – taking everything we received in the first book and amplifying it to new heights.

I really don’t want to say too much, though, as I fear I will end up ruining surprises. Just know that our time travelling cat has another wonderful adventure in this one, the story being a delightful creation that will pull you in from the first page. My only disappointment was that the ending seemed a little bit too quick for my liking. I would have liked something more from the end events, I would have liked for the ending to have been given a bit more attention as it seemed rather speedy in comparison to the other events.

Overall, it was a wonderful read. I certainly recommend giving these books a try, as they make for very fun quick reading. I’m hoping for more stories, allowing us to follow the characters on more wonderful adventures.

As a final note, I would like to thank the author for providing me with a copy in exchange for a review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment