Saturday 7 January 2017

Review: Bear for Christmas

Bear for Christmas Bear for Christmas by Amy Lamont
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Bear for Christmas by Amy Lamont is the fourth book in the Kodiak Den series, although it does work perfectly fine as a standalone novel.
 
As a standalone novel is how I read the story, having not read any of the Kodiak Den series, and I found the story to be thoroughly enjoyable. I now want to go on and read the other books in the series, but this is because of an interest in the series and not because I feel as though I’m lacking in knowledge that would have helped me understand this story.
 
What we’re given is an intriguing shifter novel, with more than just the shifter aspect of the paranormal world. We have a female lead character with psychic abilities, running from her past, adding an additional layer to the enjoyable paranormal aspect of the story. It was a nice change, something that isn’t done all that often – at least not in the way the author did it in this story. It’s a very simple way of adding an additional layer to the story, and yet it adds so much. It just goes to show how the smallest of things, when done correctly, can build a story to all new heights. If the rest of the series have this kind of element to them – I do not mean a repeat of this story, I mean a subtle addition to the normal shifter world that adds layers to the story – then I’m positive I’ll thoroughly enjoy the other books in the series.
 
It was more than just an interesting story, though. It was a book with two great characters, with interesting chemistry between the two of them. I prefer it when a romance builds slowly, but I know when a story is as short as this one such a thing is not possible. For the length, though, the chemistry between the two characters was a lot of fun: I really enjoyed them as individuals, as well as enjoying them as a couple. The steamy scenes, too, were great.
 
The only downside, for me, was that the ending all seemed a little bit too fast. The non-romantic aspects came together, and were resolved, too quickly for me – I would have liked a little bit more in that regard. It felt as though we were given so much about certain parts of the story at the start, only for them to be given very little space at the end to bring it all together.
 
As a whole, though, I really enjoyed this one. There is no doubt that I will be reading more of the author’s work in the future to see what else she has to offer.
 
As a final note, I would like to thank the author for allowing me to read this in exchange for a review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment