Monday 7 November 2016

Review: Love in Neverland

Love in Neverland Love in Neverland by Heather C. Myers
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’ve read quite a few of Heather C. Myers books (I believe this is number fifteen, if I’m not mistaken), and as a whole she writes great stories. She mixes concepts together that shouldn’t really work, somehow giving us a really unique read that pulls you in. Whilst I am enjoying her Neverland series, it is safe to say it is my least favourite of her books. The first one just about managed to pull a four star rating from me, but I couldn’t quite bring myself to do so with this book. It was a decent enough read, yet it was lacking that something extra.

I was pulled into this series by the promise of Peter Pan and Greek mythology being spliced together. Whilst it wasn’t quite what I had wanted, I came to accept that it worked even though if it wasn’t quite what it said on the tin. With this second book, I feel as though we deviate even more from those two original points. Peter Pan plays a larger role in this one – as do some of the other characters we know and love – but it doesn’t really resemble the classic story at all. The Greek mythology aspect also seems to have faded somewhat: it still works as the setting for the story, yet I feel as though the mystique surrounding that aspect of the story faded somewhat in this book.

Truthfully, this one felt a bit like a filler book. It works to shift things towards a particular goal, yet there wasn’t really much by way of action. In a way, I feel as though it existed to throw a wrench into all we’d come to believe in the first book. Relationships and feelings change, good guys and bad guys are viewed in different ways: it’s a great book for shifting views, and yet I felt like very little actually happened. When something did happen, at the end, it seemed to be over and done with far too quickly for my liking. The action came and went in a blink of the eye, really.

Overall, though, it was interesting enough. If nothing else, it left me super excited to see how the series will end. Based upon this one, I cannot say I know for sure what the ending will be – there are multiple possibilities and nothing is leaning me towards any particular one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment