Thursday 20 October 2016

Review: Sacrifice

Sacrifice: Book 3 of The Dark Paradise Trilogy Sacrifice: Book 3 of The Dark Paradise Trilogy by Heather C. Myers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sacrifice is the third and final book in the Dark Paradise trilogy, and whilst it wasn’t what I was hoping for it was certainly an enjoyable read.

After reading the first book, Awaken, I found myself desperate to know more about the series. There was so much to it, so many aspects, and I wanted to know more. I was pulled into the world, I came to enjoy the characters, and as a whole I was more addicted than I expected to be. The second book, Catalyst, pulled me in even deeper. I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as I enjoyed the first book, but it left me just as desperate to continue on. Thus, I consumed the final book in no time at all. Sacrifice was an odd mix of what I wanted and things I was left unsure about. Basically, it wasn’t all I had hoped for, and yet I still enjoyed it a lot.

I’ve stated in my reviews of the two prior books that I’m thinking the Dark Paradise trilogy will be my favourite series by the author. Well, I’m standing by that statement. It’s the benchmark that her other series are to live up to. This one had so much, was so good, that I cannot help but hope for as much fun from her other books. This one just seemed to tick so many boxes. There really are so many aspects to this story – enough for it to sound like too much, and yet it works wonderfully.

This final book works to bring everything together, yet I feel as though some aspects were given more attention than others. The Greek mythology aspect seems to come out even more in this one. The different aspects of the story, the different characters, are a lot more central in this story than in the prior ones. Oddly enough, despite what I had expected, the angels and demon side of it – the whole war aspect – didn’t seem to be as central as I’d been expecting it to be. Whilst the war was happening, we didn’t really get to see much of it. When things were happening in regards to the war things seemed to move by too quickly. I wanted more. I felt as though the action side was a bit rushed, that it was pushed aside so that the romantic drama could be more focal.

Don’t get me wrong, I came to enjoy the romantic aspect more than I expected. From early on in the series I found myself shipping certain couples, but in this book I did want the war to be focused on some more. I wanted a better war to romance ratio, instead of only a small section of the book focusing on the war. Despite the lack of attention on this side of the story, things were brought together. All storylines reached some kind of end point, even if I did want a little more. I wanted an epilogue for each of the characters, rather than it simply ending when things seemed to reach a good point. Nevertheless, I couldn’t complain with how everything came together. It was mostly just a case of I wanted more. I was so pulled into the story, so pulled into the characters and their world, that any ending was going to leave me wanting more. It’s just one of those stories, one of those reads that leaves you wanting more of the world even though you know all good things must come to an end.

Honestly, I had such fun with this one. It really is a great little series, super addictive and a lot of fun. It’s certainly worth the read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment