Sunday 16 October 2016

Review: Amber

Amber Amber by Lexi James
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Truthfully, I enjoyed this one more than I’d initially anticipated.

Amber is the first in the Stone Pack series, and it’s a great introduction to this world of wolf shifters. It’s short enough to be completed with ease. It’s interesting enough to keep you hooked throughout. It opens up enough of the world to leave you wanting to read the next book. As a whole, it was a great little read. It wasn’t perfect, but it was more than I’d anticipated.

There are many clichés in this book, but do not let such a thing put you off. Whilst it has a lot of things that have been done before, there are enough unique aspects to prevent it from being a carbon copy of other books on the market. Somehow, I feel as though such a thing is to be expected. In these urban fantasy romance novels certain things seem to belong to the check list that all authors seem to adhere to – such as the instant romance (always blamed upon the mating bond), the fact that the main characters seem to be at loggerheads despite the attraction, silly decisions made by the main character. They should be annoying aspects, especially with how often they’re used, but they’re not. That is why they’re used so often: no matter how many people use these things they still work. These things will always work in such stories, thus authors continue to use them.

As I said, though, there were unique aspects. Rather than being a werewolf book, this is a wolf shifter story. Two completely different things, which is refreshing. It’s a nice change to have. It opens up a lot for future stories, and it somewhat important for this story. Moreover, the initial notion of this story is for the doctor to offer up aid to our main character. Usually in such stories doctors with cures appear later in the series when a kidnapping of some kind occurs. Whilst things didn’t run the expected course in regards to this aspect of the story, it was fun to watch things unfold.

I will point out, however, that I did have one slight issue with the book. For some reason, there was a single chapter wrote in first person. It appeared out of nowhere before things quickly returned to normal. I’m not sure why or how this happened, but it was rather off putting. It can easily be ignored, as it’s only one blip, but it did leave me feeling iffy for a short while after it happened. Whilst I’ve pointed this out, I should note that I have not lessened my rating because of this error.

Overall, though, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I became super addicted, and I found myself unable to put the book down once I was pulled into the story. I cannot wait to see what comes next for the series, as I’m really interested in where the characters will go from here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment