Thursday 25 August 2016

Review: The Legend of the Blue Eyes

The Legend of the Blue Eyes The Legend of the Blue Eyes by B. Kristin McMichael
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Amazon freebies are so often a case of hit or miss. I have found quite a few that have really shocked me, often for different reasons. Some shock me because I cannot contemplate why the book is free, as it deserves to be something everyone is reading; some shock me because I cannot contemplate why they have such high ratings and followings.

The Legend of Blue Eyes was supposed to be the first. It had such promise. I’d read a number of decent reviews. Unfortunately, it turned out the book was not to be one of those surprising gems.

Personally, I had expected so much more. The concept is wonderful, and had it been done correctly it would have been a wonderful book. There was such promise, I had such high hopes, only to be let down exceptionally quickly.

From the start, I found it difficult to get into this book. I kept telling myself it would get better, but by the time I’d reached the halfway point I found myself unable to carry on. I hate it when I’m unable to finish books, I try so hard to finish them, but every so often it happens. Such is what happened here: I kept pushing myself, but in the end my interest had dissipated completely and my ability to force myself to continue caved in.

Part of it was the writing. Things seemed far too chunky. Things were repetitive. This repetitiveness is in terms of both interactions and information. Every other chapter things seemed to be highlighted again, pointlessly. I found myself sighing when things were repeated, and yet I wasn’t finding out what I wanted to know. In fact, part of the reason why I carried on for so long was because I was hoping to receive the information I was waiting for, but even that didn’t hold out for long – I was no longer interested because I’d given up with the characters.

That’s the second part of the issue: the characters. I just couldn’t bring myself to like anyone. Everyone seemed overly flat. The main character annoyed me. All the males seemed far too happy to do everything and anything for her, bending over backwards for the littlest of things. She was a special snowflake and everyone wanted to do something for her, meaning she did nothing of interest at all.

I just couldn’t deal with it and because of this I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I kept telling myself I'd read more in the hope it would get better, but it didn't...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment