Tuesday 16 August 2016

Review: The Heir and the Human

The Heir and the Human The Heir and the Human by Siobhan Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Heir and the Human is an optional Saven short story, but if you enjoy Axton then I certainly recommend giving it a read. This story was so enlightening, giving much more than I had anticipated.

As we’ve worked through the books, I’ve come to enjoy the Saven series more and more. When Axton was introduced, I feared the worst – my mind screamed ‘love triangle’ and I hate those things. Fortunately, the story revolving around Axton and Sadie was a lot more grown up than I had expected it to be. There were a few moments where I wanted to shake some sense into Axton, moments where I wanted his character to slip out of the story, but over time he played a vital part and I came to enjoy his character. I knew quite quickly that he would never be a favourite character, but by the end of Defiance I did want to know more about him. I was willing to accept the role he has to play, and I’m more than interested to see what that role is and where it leads the story.

With this short story, I came to appreciate Axton a lot more. I came to understand his actions, why he did the things he did. If I’m being brutally honest, a part of me feared this short story. I feared it would be a lot of excuses. I feared it would try to make a love triangle something I should want. I feared it would try to leave me shipping Sadie with Axton instead of Logan. I mean, it took me long enough to start shipping Sadie and Logan, to have a short story try to change my mind so soon was not okay with me.

However, this short story was great.

Rather than giving the entirety of the history between Axton and Sadie, it merely gives the most relevant information. The short story tells us about the events leading up to Griselda sending Sadie back, tearing apart the love between the two. Of course, Axton is going to do something drastic. Of course, it does not work. We knew both of these things before going into the story – it’s all told in Defiance, hence why this should be read after book three – but it was great to have details.

Honestly, I could say so much, but I won’t. It’s short and sweet, giving you an insight into Axton as a character. If you like his character then I’m sure you will love this story. If, like me, you’re unsure of him then it is worth a read anyway. If nothing else, you see more of him and it may work to change your view. If nothing else, you will understand him better.

I would also like to add a small side note. Whilst reading Defiance I came to the conclusion that the Saven series would make a great television show. I’m not one to endorse such a thing – nine times out of ten the show or movie never does it justice – but occasionally there are times when I would like to see how the big screen would do something. Such is the case with the Saven series, and this short story merely works to highlight how much there is to work with. I can just imagine parts of this story working as flashback scenes, or as episodes into the past. Seriously, how cool do you think a Saven television series would be? I know I’d watch it.

As always, a great read. It is certainly worth reading if you’re a fan of the Saven series; whilst optional it does add a lot more than you would think for so few pages.

Finally, once again, I would like to thank the author for allowing me to advance read this. It’s much appreciated and I’m excited for the last book and the remaining short stories that are to come!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment